Baked French Toast
Time: 60 minutes | Prep: 30 minutes | Serving: 8
1 large loaf of challah or brioche
7 large eggs
2¾ cups whole milk
⅔ cup heavy cream
⅓ cup maple syrup, plus extra for serving
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon kosher salt
½ cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons sliced almonds
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
- Slice the bread into thick slices, no more than 1 inch thick.
- Coat a 9”x13” baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and layer in the sliced bread.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, milk, cream, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg vanilla and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Pour egg mixture over the sliced bread and cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Remove plastic wrap and sprinkle the brown sugar and sliced almonds over the top, then drizzle with melted butter. Bake in the oven for about 60 minutes, until puffed and golden. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly.
- Serve topped with sliced strawberries and maple syrup.